Sunday, March 09, 2008

Evangelicals and Political Power - Concluding Remarks

This post concludes our consideration of American Evangelicalism and political power, as well as tying up a few other loose ends. First, for anyone who was trying to use the links embedded in my post titled, “The Anatomy of the Religious Right,” you may have tried to look up the Family Research Council article titled, “Prayer Targets: Our Troops, Homosexuals in the Military; International Threats, Life and Sexuality, Global Warming, Christian Youth.” Clicking on the link takes you to a page stating that that article is no longer available. In fact, if you look under the “Policy Areas” section of their website, it appears that they deleted almost all of their articles just after I published my post. Odd, isn't it?

My recent posts have been an indictment of the Religious Right and the Republican Party. They have specifically pointed out the link between the aims of the Republicans, the large globalist corporations, and many positions promoted by the Religious Right. But I would not in any way want to imply that the Democrats don't serve corporate interests. While the Republicans have been servants of big business for a very long time, the Democrats have nearly caught up. This is seen most clearly in the presidency of Bill Clinton. While NAFTA was conceived by President George H.W. Bush, it was President Clinton who aggressively pushed for its ratification. It was President Clinton who hosted the many economic summits between the world's richest nations that established the present globalist order. President Clinton was responsible for helping to create the World Trade Organization, or WTO. It was because of the damage being done by the WTO to local economies both in the United States and abroad that the Seattle WTO Ministerial Conference protests of 1999 took place. Those protests took many in the media by surprise, since they were protests against a Democratic president who was supposed to be the champion of the “little guy.” (Source: Wikipedia, “WTO Ministerial Conference of 1999 protest activity”)

Now the second half of the Clinton “tag-team” is running for the Oval Office. And Ms. Hillary is every bit the corporate raider her husband was. From her days on the board of directors of Wal-Mart, in a time when that company was actively involved in union-busting, until now, Ms. Clinton has been a servant of big business. In her battle to secure the Democratic presidential nomination, she has stooped to inducing tabloids like the National Enquirer to spread rumors and accusations against Barack Obama. But if one goes to websites like Common Dreams (http://www.commondreams.org/), one can find a great deal of information about her voting record and corporate ties, as well as intelligent commentary – at least, commentary more intelligent than what can be found in the National Enquirer. Will I vote for Obama? I just might. The dirty vehemence of the Clintons' attacks against him is beginning to convince me that there just might be something decent in the man. With our nation almost ready for the intensive care unit, the last thing we need is another corporate raider in the White House.

The problem with all of the candidates, however, is that they are all “Santa-Claus” candidates to one degree or another. The signs I have been tracking suggest that our American way of life to which we have grown accustomed is about to end. These signs include global climate change, peak oil and other resource peaks, and a collapsing economic system. It appears more and more likely that there is no way now to avert some sort of collapse. The sort of presidential candidate we really need is someone who will tell this terrible truth to the American people, and who will offer to help us make the transition to the new way of life now being forced on us. But our “Santa Claus” candidates all say the same thing: “Vote for me and I will make sure that you get anything you want! I will secure energy independence for America; I will create thousands of new jobs; I will guarantee to every American the right to a McMansion and an SUV, and I will force the world to supply us with the oil we need to keep America strong!” How I wish I could vote for Winston Churchill! But he is disqualified on two counts; first, that he is not a native-born U.S. citizen, and second, that he's been pushing up daisies for several decades.

In my post titled, “I Am Not Prey,” a reader, CLPYLR, left a question which I answered. It was a very good question. But after posting my answer, other things relating to that question occurred to me, and I felt that I had not answered the question adequately. The question was as follows: “I have read somewhere that creativity itself in any number of the arts may be in jeopardy, inasmuch as music composition by means of computers, computer drawing and such is state-of-the-art. What are your thoughts on this?” My answer was that I believe that our modern technology-driven society is headed for serious trouble, and that resource shortages would force us to make many things by hand once again, including art and music.

I still believe that to be true (more firmly than ever, as I look at the latest statistics on oil and other commodities). But technology still works, for a little while longer at least. And one of the blessings that has been brought to us by digital technology is the democratization of media. Prior to the Internet and personal computing, access to publishing or broadcasting media was tightly restricted. If one wanted to write a book or create a television show, one had to be approved by several layers of editors and content judges employed by one of the few corporations large enough to afford the means to publish such work. But now Internet access is largely free. Consumer electronic devices such as computers, digital still cameras and digital movie cameras have never been cheaper. And the Internet has evolved into a place where anyone can publish almost anything for free. There are websites such as Facebook, MySpace, Blogger, Wordpress, YouTube and Flickr where people can publish blogs with pictures, podcasts and embedded movies. In short, there are great opportunities for people who have something meaningful to say to share their thoughts with others. And presenters whose work is well-thought and well-produced will gain a large audience. I encourage those who have something to say to use these tools while they are still available, and to make sure that their work is excellent.

And now we are finished with Political Power. My last several posts have been a lot of fun, but they have also been a lot of work (who knew that fun could be so much work?). In my posts I strive to present things which are as factual and well-researched as possible. But this takes quite a bit of time, and I do have a day job.

My next post will begin the consideration of Evangelicalism and Ecclesiastical Power. But that post will be delayed by a few weeks. I need a bit of time to finalize a few lines of research on this subject. And I also need time to finish working on my garden, fix things around the house, and take care of other pressing matters. Therefore, my next post won't come until 6 April (or 30 March if I finish sooner). I will be available to moderate and respond to comments, if anyone has any. Thank you all very much for following this blog so far.

In my absence, may I suggest the following blogs and sites for those who want something to chew on...

These blogs are not written by Christians; yet they contain good information and an informed perspective regarding the issues the world is now facing. I will also try to find blogs written by Christians who tackle sustainability issues. If you know of any, feel free to recommend them.

No comments: